aka Fausto's Grandmother's Pasta
- Active Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cooking Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
This traditional Puglian recipe was passed down from Fausto’s grandmother to Fausto to Henry to Willem and is now being passed on to you.
- Remove casing from sausages and form sausage meat into 1/4 in. meatballs. Make sure to keep meatballs separated or they will stick together.
- Add salt to water in a large pot until it is “as salty as the sea” and bring to a boil.
- Boil broccoli florets to an al dente texture. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Do not drain the water.
- Bring oil in a pan to medium-high heat and add meatballs, making sure that they do not clump together. (If necessary, fry in multiple batches.) Brown the meatballs and add wine or beer. Once the liquid has partly evaporated, add the broccoli and stir to combine. Gently break up the broccoli into smaller pieces.
- At the same time, bring the water back to a boil and add the pasta. Cook to desired texture.
- Drain the pasta, return to the pot with a bit of olive oil and add the sausage and broccoli mixture. Stir to combine. Be gentle, as the pasta is liable to break, and be patient, as it will take some time for the sausage and broccoli mixture to fill the pasta tubes.
- Serve immediately.
* A note on ingredients: The quantities shown are suggestions only. I usually aim for an equal proportion of sausage to broccoli. The sausage and broccoli mixture should not be thought of as a topping – it should take up a good bulk of the dish.
Categorized in: Main Courses