North Indian Dry Base
- Active Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cooking Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
A jumping-off point for various North Indian recipes.
- Dice the onions and set aside in a bowl. Dice the garlic, ginger and green chillies and combine in a second bowl.
- Add oil to a skillet on medium-high heat.
- Test the oil’s temperature by dropping a few cumin seeds into the oil. When the seeds sputter and pop, the oil is at the right temperature. The oil should not be hot enough to smoke!
- Add 1 tsp cumin seeds to the hot oil. They will almost immediately sputter, pop, brown and release their aroma. Cook for no more than 1 minute, ensuring that the cumin seeds do not burn. [fn] If the cumin seeds do burn, discard and begin again as burnt cumin will make the whole dish taste acrid. [/fn] If using heeng instead of onion, add a pinch of heeng along with the cumin seeds.
- Add the onion into the skillet and saute until translucent.
- Add the garlic-ginger-green chilli mixture to the skillet with a pinch of salt and cook until you see and smell that the garlic has been cooked.
- Add other ingredients to the skillet as per recipe.
Categorized in: Preparations