Savory Cocoa Bread
By Julia Orlov
- Active Prep Time: 30 mins
- Passive Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cooking Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 3 hours, 15 mins
A dark, pleasantly bitter bread that can be made earthier by substituting a cup of of whole wheat flour. Serve with something creamy and/or briny – butter, cream cheese, pickled green tomatoes, roe, etc.
- Combine flour and yeast in a large bowl. Stir in salt, water, and oil. Bring the dough together and let sit for 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Knead dough until elastic and smooth, about 10-15 minutes. Grease a large bowl with the olive oil and place dough in bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap or a damp tea towel, and proof until doubled in size, 1-1.5 hours at room temperature or overnight in fridge.
- Shape the dough into a boule and let proof until doubled in size, usually an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Dust boule with flour and score the top with a sharp knife, either in an X or a row of slits.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425°F. Decrease to 375°F and bake for another 30 minutes.
- Let cool and eat!
Categorized in: Bread