Spring and Fall Salad
- Active Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cooking Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
This recipe features two seasonal ingredients that are not generally available in the same season. While imported asparagus can be found out of its spring season in North America, fresh Matsutakes are only available in the fall.
I developed this recipe from ingredients I encountered in Kanazawa’s Omicho market in October 2016.
- Dry-toast pine nuts in a frying pan.
- Wipe the trimmed matsutakes with a slightly damp paper towel (do not wash them) and cut into 1/8-in-thin slices (just enough to give them some bite).
- Cut off the asparagus heads and set aside. Cut the stalks into thin 1.5-inch-long sticks. The sticks should be thick enough to retain their crunch.
- Layer frisee lettuce, matsutake slices and asparagus sticks onto individual plates. Drizzle with Sanbaizu or vinaigrette and top with toasted pine nuts.